The Intern – Week 6


This week’s intern post will start off very much the way it did last week; what should’ve been week 7 has now become week 6, due to FORESEEN circumstances of university exams (Again, not fun). However, the intern was not going to let a few exams, that he wished he had studied for instead of procrastinating, get in the way of his work and the needs our clients. So with exams done and dusted it was time to pop back into the office and see what the week ahead had in store…

Remember how Ed. told the Intern last week he had more Meta descriptions coming? He wasn’t lying. Metadescriptions are not something I was unfamiliar with, nor something I had expected to go wrong again either. Task one was simply a matter of updating a few (103) metadescriptions that were blank, however, as I used the CMS on the clients website to update them I soon (2 hours later) realised that they were not updating and in fact all the work I had just done essentially had counted for nothing.

Now there’s 2 ways I could’ve looked at this; the first was that the client’s CMS had again (refer to week 5) proved to be inferior and this was a direct result of that and not my fault at all, but in all honesty the second view that maybe I should have been checking each description as I completed it seemed more fair. Rookie error…be gentle Ed.

This week also saw my introduction to monthly reports and how to use the all-amazing Jimmy Data to make them simply a process of automation. However, before the reports were sent out, I was instructed to use Google AdWords and update the budget spreadsheet for each client to ensure we don’t over or under-spend on each campaign.

The process for reporting from then on was to my surprise quite simple. All it took was to find the client in Jimmy, ensure the date range matched the reporting month, press create new report, fill in the contact details and press schedule. Automation at its finest! Here is an example of a Jimmy report done for one of the clients

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 3.49.34 pm

Continuing with the reports theme I was also introduced to benchmark ranking reports for keywords, and as you can guess my task was to complete a report. The client was a major bank that is advertising international trade warrants who conveniently happens to have a keyword list that is partly in another language (Thai to be specific). I didn’t even know we handled keywords in other languages…

At first I was a little worried that I couldn’t understand a single word of the Thai keyword list, which meant that there could be spelling mistakes I don’t know about or even whole words that shouldn’t be in the list. Nevertheless, I came to the decision that I was going to go ahead and copy the list into Moz Analytics anyway.

What I didn’t realise was that I now had to try and match each word to its ranking and enter the data into excel, simple…if they were in English! What happened next was a huge sigh of relief. Upon opening the rankings report that Moz had returned, it was to my fortune (maybe not so much to the client’s) that every single keyword in that list was ranked as simply 51+.

As another report-related task was handed to me I began to think as to why there were so many reports to do, only seconds before realizing that the end of the month was already upon us. It all made sense. (Yes, I know, very rookie thinking).

So with the experience of already one benchmark report under my belt it was time to tackle another, straight after the first one that is. This time it was for a much larger keyword list, also one that came attached with a PowerPoint and spreadsheet. So without further ado I was underway and back into Moz Analytics, digging up a CSV file for the latest rankings.

This task was different to the previous, purely because the PowerPoint was essentially a template for comparing data between the previous and current month. Although the data was much the same in most cases, it was still very interesting to see how much variance in ranking there can be in the space of only one month.

So with the week proving to be all about reports it’s a no brainer as to what the word of the week will be. ‘Reports’, in my opinion, are an excellent way to visually display to clients how well their campaign is going. By showing a client a physical report rather than speak to them verbally it helps them understand the campaign more thoroughly and in turn they will become more active in future processes. Reporting will also tell us, as digital marketers, where and how we can improve on each campaign to get the best results possible.


The Intern

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>